Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Bling it

When it comes to my nest, my goal is to create a casual, stylish, kid-friendly space.  Nothing should be too precious or breakable, but it still needs to be chic.   It's important to surround yourself with your things in a way that is practical and not cluttered, especially if you have little ones around.  But lets be honest most adults can be a bit clumsy too and no guest will ever be comfortable in your home if they feel they can't touch anything.  


Lately I am really into finding stylish ways to maximize everyday efficiency.  When your hectic and busy who has time to search for that lost bracelet or wine opener?  Things you use often should be accessible but in a way that makes them blend into your decor.  


One way to do this is by using beautiful objects or vessels for these everyday items.  I was left a loot of antique silver by my parents.  It has all been stored away untouched since I got it, because let's face it who uses silver anymore except maybe for very special holidays.  I began to feel that it was silly to store it all out of sight in my small home that already has limited storage.   I pulled out one piece to see how daunting the task of polishing was.  To my surprise, the heavily tarnished pieces were shiny in no time.  I didn't bother making them perfect, in fact I actually think a slight patina is charming.  If you don't have any family silver in your possession, it can often be found at thrift stores and estate sales.  Don't be scared off by the tarnish.  The best part for me is that unlike ceramic, glass or crystal, silver is not easily broken so it is perfect for my busy home.  Here are some of the ways I repurposed the pieces I had and added a little bling to our space.


This tray became a catch-all for the hub's things on the dresser that we share in our closet.

I only have one of these candlesticks but I really love it.  Instead of saving it for some funky mismatched table scape I might make someday, I opted to use it to organize all my bangles.  Now I can finally see then all easily!

I used this round lidded container to hold cotton pads and swabs on the bathroom vanity.  Inside the Japanese lacquer boxes I keep my everyday makeup, that is on the days I wear makeup!  It's quicker to get ready now that this is on the counter and I don't have to rummage through drawers and cabinets.

In the kitchen the bling continued by putting this shell shaped sugar bowl (filled with sugar) out in the open.  So easy to add to tea or coffee on early mornings.

I love the laser-cut like design of this trivet.  Funny how Lonny Mag had a feature on laser cut designs in their last issue... is nothing ever really new?  I am always that person who pulls something hot out of the oven and then scrambles for a safe place to put it (our counters are formica until we can redo them someday), so I decided to hang this right on the backsplash next to the stove.

Here it is in action and I've used it a ton already.

And finally our bar area got a little organization from this sweet little cup.  It now holds our dolphin shaped bottle opener, wine stopper and opener that always seemed to get misplaced.  Yes we have a thing for nautical items if you haven't noticed!

Having these things out in the open makes me smile and a bit more organized to boot.  So stop saving your pretty things for a special day and pull out that bling or those gorgeous wooden bowls and put them to use.  Let's make everyday special and celebrate life!

oxx Dion




No comments:

Post a Comment

a penny for your thoughts...