Wednesday, March 23, 2011

2⅔

I have realized that there will be several poignant, watershed moments as T grows up.  Suddenly the first has smacked me in the face.  He is no longer a baby in any way... he is pure boy.  At exactly 2⅔ years old it has happened.  There hasn't been any bottles, diapers, or baby fat in a while.  This change is completely metaphysical.  Something has altered in his attitude, his speech, his grasp on the universe.  I am at once in awe and begging for it to please  s l o w  d o w n.  




I pulled out my Canon 5d and decided to experiment with using my in camera settings.  I went with monochrome (which is black & white) and +1 sharpness and +1 contrast.  I had never used this before and I loved it.  I've always loved b&w from my old shooting film and working in the darkroom days.  If I know this is the look I'm after it is so much faster than having to convert the pictures in post.  I want to spend as little time editing as possible, I love photography because I want to take pictures... not sit with photoshop for hours!  A very slight curve for contrast and these images were good to go, though the out of camera shots were very acceptable.  

T's hair is doing crazy things, but that's the norm so whatcha gonna do?


nature lover.  those lashes and cheeks kill me.





For the second half of the shoot I bumped my ISO up to 1600 to see if it would achieve an old film-like grain.  Again I know this can be done in post but wanted to see what I could get straight out of camera.  I love what it did to the grain in the wood fence, such texture!  I may try this same experiment with my old canon rebel soon (which is not nearly as good at handling noise and may look way more grainy/ old filmish)




So silly and so much boy energy!


oxx Dion


1 comment:

a penny for your thoughts...