Monday, March 7, 2011

Healthy Home Fry Happiness

Last week was a bit nuts.  I had a sick little man on my hands and internet issues to boot.  These are now remedied and I am back!  I was given a request to share some breakfast ideas (I love requests by the way, give me something to nest, capture, or create in the comments and I will gladly share or research it if I don't already know about it).  I created this dish with the goal of producing a whole food based, filling and nourishing meal. 


Meet my new favorite breakfast.  No seriously it's that good.  When I want something more substantial than me usual smoothie this will be my go-to.  I didn't think a healthy, hearty, completely unprocessed breakfast could actually taste this good.  While I'm cooking this, I enjoy some hot water with the juice of half a lemon.  Super simple and an amazing way to detox the body and stimulate the appetite.  Resist the urge to add sugar and savour the fresh lemon taste, you will grow to love it!

Healthy Home Fry Happiness
time: 20 minutes or less
serves 1 (multiply for additional people)

you will need:
1 small sweet potato
1 egg
1/4 to 1/2 of a small Haas avocado
 (any avo will do but the Haas variety have the best texture and smooth creamy taste)
1 tbs olive oil (extra virgin cold-pressed is best)
1/4 a bell pepper
1 green onion

Begin by heating the olive oil over medium heat in a medium pan.  
While the oil is heating, wash, peel, and chop the sweet potato into a small dice (about 1/2").  

Add potatoes to the pan and shake slightly so they are in a single layer. 
 Now leave them alone and let them do their thing for 4-5 minutes, no stirring.  You want them to start to brown on the bottom and form a bit of a crust, essentially like home fries.  Take this time to season the potatoes with salt and pepper.  Chop the bell pepper and green onion into small pieces.  

After those 4-5 minutes have gone by and the bottoms are browned, flip the potatoes with a spatula.  

Again leave them alone for several minutes.  
Add the bell peppers and onions next and stir the potatoes once more.  Through out this process if your pan seems too dry add a little more oil in small drizzles, but not too much we are going for healthy!  Also check your seasonings.. maybe a bit more pepper?  

Cook until the potatoes have reached the crispiness you desire and the other veg is cooked, another 3-5 minutes. 

Dump this goodness onto a plate and return pan to the burner.  Add a tiny bit more olive oil and cook an egg any way you desire, fried, sunny side up, over easy, scrambled; it's your breakfast.  I will say that a runny yolk is particularly good with this dish if you're into that sort of thing. 

Treat yourself right and buy cage-free, omega 3 fortified eggs... organic if possible.  For a dollar or two more than the regular ones it breaks down to pennies an egg.  Totally worth it for some high quality protein.

Place the egg on top of the potatoes and top with some ripe avocado slices.  Devour as is or add your favorite hot sauce or salsa!

 Do I even need to tell you about the benefits of avocados (loaded with vitamins, minerals, and monounsaturated fats that help lower bad cholesterol) and sweet potatoes (also packed with vitamins, minerals, and healthy dietary fiber)?  It is this ideal ratio of protein (egg), fiber (sweet potato) and healthy fats (avocado) that will fill you up without leaving you bloated or sluggish, and fuel you until lunch.  This recipe is flexible too of course... don't have bell peppers, use those mushrooms in your fridge.  This is a great base to add whatever sounds good to you.
I know it's cliche but breakfast is an amazing way to start the tone for the day.  Eat a healthy breakfast and you will be much more inclined to eat healthy for the rest of the day, promise.

oxx Dion

4 comments:

  1. Awesome post Mama, : )

    ReplyDelete
  2. hooray! Now something sweet! With coconut, lime and or blueberry!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dion! I just came across your blog from your Facebook posts! I love it and it makes me smile so much to read and know how wonderfully happy you are and what a beautiful little family you have! It also made me realize how much I miss you and all the fun we used to have! Your post about your girls made me feel terribble that we didn't keep in touch; so many great memories. Your posts are so eloquent and insightful! Miss you deeply and love reading and getting a peep into your life. XxBecky

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you ladies!

    Dz that one is already in the works with those ingredients...great minds think alike!

    That was really sweet Becky, and there is no time like the present! We can be in touch now ;o)

    ReplyDelete

a penny for your thoughts...