Wednesday, January 5, 2011

It's a beautiful day to escape

Gorgeous morning light streamed in through the room's massive windows on a lovely Saturday morning in December.  My camera melded into my arm and we became one.  What followed was one of the most exhilarating experiences I have ever had as a photographer.


I had learned about Help-Portrait through creativeLIVE.  The premise was simple, on the first Saturday in December photographers around the world would take portraits of people in need.  The photographers would then print the images when ready and present them to their subjects.  Portraiture,  the kind in which a piece of a person's soul is revealed and not the "cheese" kind, is what first got me hooked on photography in high school.  Trying to capture something about a person that can later be conveyed to the viewer is bliss to me.


I joined the Help-Portrait website and prayed that there were photographers in my area planning to participate.  Sure enough I connected with a photographer and a makeup artist that were planning an event at a local nursing home.  When I arrived the morning of the shoot I was given a less than appealing wall to shoot against, but not to worry the other photographer had an extra table cloth.  So we secured it with gaffers tape and set up a reflector and stand.  That coupled with the awesome morning light coming through the window, and my natural light studio was in business.  While the other photographer had fantastic studio lights set up, I couldn't have been happier with my ghetto fab studio.  I absolutely adore natural light.  I shot 28 portraits and in roughly two hours, I was changed.  

This is my friend Pearl.  I instantly fell in love with her and wanted to put her in my pocket and call her mine.  I carefully wheeled her into her position (well as carefully as I could, wheel chairs don't have the greatest turning radius so I began each maneuver with "careful I'm a crazy driver" which luckily garnered more chuckles than cries for help).  She turned, gazed out the window and sighed, "It's a beautiful day to escape."  It really was too pretty out to be inside stuck in a chair.  Yet Pearl handled her situation with poise and charm.  She began to chat with me and I tried to remember to check my camera settings as I hung on her every word.  I felt so lucky to be in her presence.  

"I'm 97 years old."  

"Wow that's quite a long time, you have seen and been through a lot."  Damn I thought, what wisdom in all those years.  

"That's right like the Great Depression, some things I don't really think I needed to go through... hope to never see again."

"I totally hear you!  Like, 'that was supposed to make me stronger but did I really need to be any stronger than I already was?!'  What was the single most important experience that you have been through?"

"My Children."

I was thinking about hardships that were good lessons, and there she lays on me the single most important thing in life!  I have felt this since my son was born, but to hear this from a near centenarian rattled me.  Ok universe I get it.  This ex-cynical girl is now fully converted to the romantic side of life.  

 This firecracker was the first to use the sweet blue wing back chair I had if anyone was able to sit in it.  I would have shown the awesomeness of the whole chair in one shot, but that ghetto fab backdrop of mine  was about four feet wide so close ups were a must.  

"How are you?"

"A little too sober but that's the way it is these days!"

"Oh honey if I could help you with that I sure would.  I'm your girl, next time I know!"  Damn no booze in nursing homes?  I would not do well there.  Note to self: always pack a flask in my camera bag for adult photo shoots, just in case.

In truth I am not the funniest girl, but something came over me when faced with the gloominess of the place.  Since I couldn't use my old bartending skills to pass out shots, I tried to make people laugh.  I wanted them to relax for at least a minute and trust me for half a second.  

How cute is she?

Well and him too!  I wanted him to take me for a trail ride and show me how to roll my own cigarettes (and no I don't smoke cigs but those are the cute things old cowboys like my grandfather did).

This is Janet on the left.  She was found after Katrina in her house with flood water all the way up to her neck. She has no family, but Sally met her when she was visiting her own mother at the home.  Sally's mother passed away and yet Sally still comes to visit Janet regularly.  This is love people.  

I was humbled by the dignity, grace, and humor that many of my subjects displayed in the face of their circumstances.  I ran home from the shoot and held my boys tighter than I ever have.  I was thankful for their love, for our health, and for my youth.  

oxx Dion


No comments:

Post a Comment

a penny for your thoughts...