Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Kitch'

Last week I shared how I transformed yard sale rejects into cute kitchen decor here.  I left you with a to be continued as to what their purpose was, and I'm sure you were on the edge of your seat ;o)  Before we moved into our new house eight months ago I went on a painting rampage.  As my husband works off shore, I painted all 1250 square ft of our home myself with some help from my father in law.  I choose yellow for the open living room/kitchen/dining area.  Yes yellow is notorious for being a difficult wall color to pull off, but we have tons of windows and it really makes our space bright and cheery.  


A few months later I was still loving it but realized I wasn't always feeling bright and cheery.  I wanted to bring in some dark elements for contrast.  I choose navy and grey accents for the living room.  In the kitchen I debated trying my hand at tiling a back splash to break up all the yellow.  But my hubs was at work and my two year old was running amok so I nixed that idea.  I settled on painting the back splash with chalkboard paint.  It brought in the dark contrast that I was looking for and was only $10 for the can of paint at home depot (which I barely made a dent in it with this project).   It helped achieve the modern and casual style that we love.  Plus I heart functional design, big time.


I love that I can jot down grocery lists and notes on the fly, as well as whatever is inspiring me at the time.  I am going away for a couple days, so Je t'aime is for my boys.  I'll probably leave it up through Valentine's Day, but who really knows!  It's great to be able to switch it up so easily.


I use the canisters I made to hold the chalk and eraser.  Since I spray painted them (which is not exactly food safe), I was happy to have them to keep the chalk accessable yet disguised.  The door to our back yard is on the other side of this room, so I also have all of little man's sidewalk chalk stored in there.  




If you don't agree with Robert Louis Stevenson and I that "wine is bottled poetry", I'm not sure that we can still be friends ;o)  All those photos are held up with magnets on the side of our wine cooler (the red to the right is the door), since our fridge is stainless and magnets don't stick to it.  

Now to muster up the gumption to update the cabinets with a fresh coat of paint and new hardware...

oxx Dion

No comments:

Post a Comment

a penny for your thoughts...