Monday, January 17, 2011

My kinda girl

girlfriends patterson maker
I was blessed to spend a wonderful weekend with some of my favorite girls.  On Thursday night I got to escape for a night out of cocktails and Country Strong with the fabulous Mrs. J.  Now before all my old friends worry that I've gone too country down here in La, let me tell you the movie is fabulous.  I am not a fan of country music, but for the length of the show I was captivated and transported to a different world.  Mrs. Paltrow was superb.


The next day one of my lovely girls came to stay at our haven for the weekend.  We met freshman year at Trinity College in Hartford, Ct.  Now what on earth was an island girl doing in Hartford you might ask?  Well hear me out.  Growing up on a tropical island all my life, I had gotten it into my head that I wanted a true collegiate experience.  Born in Manhattan, I thought a small New England liberal arts college was the proper way to go about it.  Though my freshman year was amazing and I learned a ton about myself, Connecticut was not for me.  My girl M, the only person I am still in real contact with from that "ideal" college year, is undoubtedly the reason I was there.  Despite only seeing each other once a year we are inexplicably linked and will be friends for life.


My kinda girl is strong and unabashedly herself.  She is my heart and my inspiration.  Each one of my girls is unique and was destined to be in my life.  My girls are scattered all over the place but we work hard to stay connected.  While one can be with the most amazing man in the world, as I am lucky to be, it is our girls that truly understand us.  They have a different level of compassion and empathy.  We lift each other up and share our secrets to making life better.  It is always an incredible boost.  And when one of my girls is hurting, look out!  I am fierce to protect and defend her.  It pains me to no end to see her this way.  For as one of my girls put so eloquently, "friends are the family you choose."  I am grateful for my "family" and the richness they bring to my life.  Hold tight to your girls and remember to nurture your bond, just as you work on nurturing the other relationships in your life.

oxx Dion

No comments:

Post a Comment

a penny for your thoughts...